Friday, March 4, 2011

Wildlife Sighting

A few days ago I saw a bobcat. It looked like this:


 I wish I could use my own photo but it was the dim light of early morning and the cat trotted by too quickly.  It was thrilling as I have never seen a bobcat in the wild before. At first glance I thought it was a fox but, no, it looked like an enormous housecat with a bobbed tail.

My joy was tempered however by concern for the fluffy gray rabbit that has graced our property this winter. My husband and I have regarded it as our pet bunny. It made its presence known frequently; hanging out either by a drainage pipe or hollow log where it could easily escape predators. But on one occasion it failed to find safety in either of those places because I found a mere shred of its body yesterday; its one remaining little rabbit foot looking so pathetically sweet. I suspect the bobcat was responsible.

What an emotional roller coaster as I went from the high of seeing what to me was an exotic animal to discovering the torn body of our little bunny. Aw…the harsh reality of nature. I long for the peaceable kingdom!