Friday, January 9, 2009

Fibromyalgia is gone

I have neglected my blog the last few months but I wish to resume it and pick up where I left off. My sudden cessation of Surmontil has resulted in the most amazing thing. After suffering withdrawal and dealing with the physical aftermath of an automobile accident at the end of October, I noticed that I was no longer experiencing fibromyalgia symptoms. My friend's suggestion that there might be a connection between my long term Surmontil use and my fibromyalgia symptoms was prophetic. Gone is the end of the day excessive exhaustion to which I had become accustomed. Gone is the stiffness and pain that followed the slightest physical exertion. I am free to workout again and enjoy it. I look forward to skiing now. I have more energy and can actually stay up later than 9 PM!

The downside is that I struggle with insomnia again. The Surmontil did do a great job of keeping my insomnia at bay. However, if given a choice, I'd take insomnia over fibromyalgia any day. I just feel bad that none of my doctors were aware that there may be a link between the drug and my fibromyalgia symptoms. It was a good medication for me short term but I really wish one of my doctors would have seen the wisdom of discontinuing it after say--five years or so. Instead, the doctor who first prescribed it told me I could safely be on it for the rest of my life. I guess physicians really don't know pharmaceutical agents that well. I feel sad that I inadvertantly poisoned myself for all those years thus dimishing the quality of my life during that time.

4 comments:

Marti Carlson said...

Hi Jackie,

I knew you had been experiencing a rebirth of sorts after getting off the meds you were using for sleeping, but now that I have found your blog, I will also repeat it in writing. I am so glad that you are feeling well and can resume your normal activity. My foot problems gave me some clue into the frustration related to lack of mobility due to aches and pains, but I too have feeling much better and have become a lot more active in walking the dogs. Now that I know about your blog, I will stay in touch. Are you also on facebook? Take care, Marti

Jody said...

Hey! Great news! Maybe with all that exercise you can do now, you'll find more success with sleep. Praise God.

Jacqueline said...

Thank you, Marti and Jody, for your encouraging comments!

Morning Coffee said...

I am so thankful that your long, dark night of Fibromyalgia has turned to a new morning of 'normalness'. Makes insomnia almost bearable, as a trade off.